1 Gbit/s LDPC Decoder and Encoder (WiMedia UWB)
The solution from Creonic for data rates of up to 1 Gbit/s offers outstanding efficiency in terms of implementation complexity. John Porter, CTO of Cambridge Communications Systems and convinced Creonic customer, says: "The Creonic WiMedia IP core runs at over twice the speed and uses half the logic of any competing products". Area and energy efficiency played a decisive role during the LDPC code design process. With this unified approach not only outstanding efficiency is obtained, but also excellent error correction performance, outperforming Viterbi decoders by up to 3 dB. At the same time, a throughput of hundreds of Mbit/s can be achieved even on low-cost FPGAs.
- High-throughput Applications
- Low-latency Applications
- Ultra-wideband (UWB)
- Wireless USB
- Microwave Links
- Optical Links
- TeleCare / TeleHealth
Features the Core Supports
- Supports different code rates (1/2, 5/8, 3/4, and 4/5).
- Supports different block lengths (1200 bits and 1320 bits).
- Compliant with Multiband OFDM Physical Layer Specification, PHY Specification: Final Deliverable 1.5, August 11, 2009.
- Decodes more than 5 codeword bits per clock cycle for throughputs beyond 1 Gbit/s.
- Gains up to 3 dB compared to Viterbi decoders.
- Low-power and low-complexity design.
- Layered LDPC decoder architecture, for faster convergence behavior.
- Block-to-block on-the-fly configuration.
- Early stopping criterion for iterative LDPC decoder, saving a considerable amount of energy.
- Configurable amount of LDPC decoding iterations for trading-off throughput and error correction performance.
- Collection of statistic information (number of modified information bits, number of iterations, decoding successful).
- LDPC encoder included.
- Available for ASIC and FPGAs (Xilinx, Altera).
- Deliverable includes VHDL source code or synthesized netlist, VHDL or SystemC testbench, and Matlab, C or C++ bit-accurate simulation model.